So due to monetary concerns, and due to tips from friends… you know who you are Simone.
I never thought moving servers would be so hard, but with me also goes 3 other sites I was hosting, and I’m still struggling getting hold of the people responsible to update their DNS, and transfer their sites…. but a few tips for future:
1) remember to turn off all cron jobs on the old site/server
2) remember to delete all mailing lists from the old site/server
One of the most annoying things with .Net 1 -> .Net 2 was that they broke the web.config….. for ages I was playing round with the subtext web.config, trying to work out why it wouldn’t work with bgeek.net but would with bgeek.iouk.com….. it was grating on me as they both pointed to the same folder and both had the same code. All the error message said was that remote errors were not turned on, and no matter what I tried i couldn’t get the error message to appear despite CustomErrors being set to off the same message appeared, eventually I just remembered the whole thing about the wrong version of .net and checked the configuration of the virtual directories… turns out that the default was .net 1.0 not 2.0 so I changed that and everything works sweetly again.
So apologies if there are a few broken links…. I’ve tried to keep them to a minimum, and I’m afraid all my galleries have gone, but I’ve still got all the files so I might recreate them if I see a need.
So bring on the fun of SubText… next to write a plug-in to support my reading list… and to add a couple of links at the top of the page.